Monday 1 November 2010

People that don't say thank you...

720,143 people are members of a group on facebook called "Saying you're welcome to people who don't say thank you"... so this is something that obviously winds alot of people up...

For me, it's specifically people that don't say thank you when you...
a) hold a door open for them
b) wait for them to pass through a narrow passage before you do
c) when you're driving and pull over to the side of the road to allow oncoming traffic to pass.


a) When I go through a door, I always look behind me to see, if I let go, will the door slam shut in someones face? If the answer is yes, I will always leave a lingering hand keeping the door open until they are within range to put a hand out themselves and keep it open so that they can pass. It's probably anything less than 3 meters. It doesn't take much time, and it doesn't inconvenience me too much, but still enough that if someone did it for me, I would say thank you. If someone has taken the time to be considerate to you, you should thank them for it.

b) Most likely to occur in a supermarket. Or anywhere that's busy with narrow walkways. You're walking towards someone, and either you or both of you realise that you're going to reach a bottle neck that will require one person to wait while the other passes. If it's them, I'll always say thank you...obviously. If I wait, I expect to get a thank you, or at the very least, a smile and/or nod.

For A & B, when I don't get a thank you, I always give them a sarcastic "You're welcome!" or the more developed, "Na, that's alright mate, don't worry about it!" At this point, I don't care if they say thanks or not, at this point it's all about me getting one back on them. I've wasted my time being considerate to them, they haven't said thanks, I'm just balancing out the universe for the sake of my own sanity and anger levels.

Chloe O'Brien in 24. My hero and the master
of sarcastic comments
c) Driving towards someone down a narrow street that will require one of you to pull into a gap to allow the other to pass. Again, simple, if they pull over, I will always raise my hand in thanks as I pass them, or if its night time, give them a couple of flashes of the full beams to show my appreciation. Or, if I allow someone out of a junction, I expect a raise of the hand through the back window, or a quick flash of the hazard lights. I expect, but obviously don't always get that in return. People that feel they own the road and don't have to thank people. In the instance where they're driving towards you, in summer, its great, people drive along with their windows open, so as they pass, you can scream "you're welcome!" at them.
Any other time and I'm faced with the fact that it's too late now, I'm not going to get a thank you, and it just gets added on to the rage that I am able to dish out to the next inconsiderate person I meet.

In summary, if a complete stranger takes the time, and has the presence of mind to wait for you, it doesn't take much to reciprocate that and say thanks. If you don't, you are inconsiderate scum, and I hope the next door smacks you in the face.

Thanks for reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails